Click through the tabs below for information on training and learning from the Foster Care and Adoption Resource Center, other providers throughout Wisconsin, and more.
We believe that, even in the most difficult of circumstances, foster and adoptive parents want to be champions; a positive force for the children and youth in their care. And we know that there are times when that is just plain hard.
We have created Champion Classrooms to be a lifeline for all parents and caregivers. Learners in Champion Classrooms have access to ongoing training opportunities that can introduce new skills or simply sharpen those they already have. Each of the courses are designed to provide real-time support when parents need it the most. It’s available anytime–24 hours a day and seven days a week. Champion Classrooms offers a diverse range of educational offerings and engaging and interactive content. Learners can choose from beginner, intermediate, and more advanced courses, depending on their experience and needs.
In addition to online courses, learners in the Champion Classrooms will have access to:
- Live, real-time webinars
- Information about upcoming conferences
- Links to related and relevant resources, such as informational tip sheets, newsletters, and guide books
We believe that, when parents have access to the resources on Champion Classrooms, they will also have the support they need to be there for their kids–no matter what.
Our online calendar of events includes opportunities for learning and connection from the Coalition, as well as a number of other organizations. Events are included from across Wisconsin as information is made available to us.
In addition to trainings and conferences offered by the Foster Care and Adoption Resource Center and the Coalition for Children, Youth & Families, our team routinely looks for and posts other training and support resources that may be interesting and helpful to you.
- Foster Parent College is among the sources we suggest you consider as a training resource.
- To locate information regarding foster parent pre-placement and foundation training, please visit the Wisconsin Child Welfare Professional Development System website.
- A Year of Awesomeness is a series of engaging videos by Josh Shipp, designed to help teens navigate the complexities of life, tackle challenging situations, and get inspired for their futures. Josh is a former foster youth who overcame a host of challenges as a teen. It has been his mission to share what he has learned through his own journey. You can view videos from Josh on his YouTube channel.
Tips For Teachers: Assignments That Can Be Triggers
For children and youth who were adopted, are in foster care, or are living with a relative who is not their biological parent, certain school assignments can trigger feelings of sadness or loss. The Coalition for Children, Youth & Families created this short video that will offer suggestions for alternative assignments that are inclusive for all students. We encourage you to view this video and share it with other parents and colleagues. If you have questions, please contact us; we are here to help.
Below is a list of past training sessions specifically for workers in the child welfare field.
Upon completing this training, users of PDS Online are encouraged to add it as an external training to their transcripts. Please consult this Knowledge Base user guide for assistance.
Please remind your supervisor to complete the process by approving this external training in PDS Online. Here is a how to guide for supervisors.
- Access to Quality Early Education Providers: YoungStar and Foster Care, May 1, 2016
- Advanced 56: Licensing Violations, April 2013
- Advanced 56: Serious Incident Reporting, March 20, 2015
- Background Checks, January 2012
- Bed Bugs for Child Welfare Professionals, April 1, 2014
- Building Codes & Foster Parent Licensing, December 5, 2014
- Child Development – Infant/Toddler, October 2013
- Foster Parent Support & Development, November 2018
- Levels of Care/Kinship, June 19, 2014
- Placement Stability, January 2012
- Reasonable & Prudent Parenting for Licensed Private Adoption Transition Homes and Licensed Pre-Adoptive Parents Adopting Privately or Internationally
- Rehabilitation Reviews, May 2017
- Toxic Stress, January 2012
- Unpacking the No, September 1, 2014