The following resources are to help grandparents and other relatives who are raising their relatives’ children.
- The Kinship Navigator Portal (link will open a new page) can be used by any relative caregiver throughout the state to identify services and resources available to them based on their specific caregiving situation. Caregivers will be asked to answer a set of questions specific to their situation and based on those answers, they will be provided with an array of information about their eligibility for various programs. You can also download the Kinship Navigator Guidebook (PDF).
- Recorded presentations and resources from the 2020 Families Like Mine Virtual Conference are available for free here.
General Support Resources in Wisconsin
- The University of Wisconsin Extension has a comprehensive, up-to-date list of resources (link will open a new page) for grandparents that has links to county, state, and national resources. You can also find links to academic studies and a teaching resource.
Following are some of the direct links to the resources at the University of Wisconsin Extension that you may find helpful:
- Wisconsin Family Caregiver Support Program (link will open a new page)
The state of Wisconsin has created a comprehensive guide for relative caregivers with support and information, links to inclusive lists of resources (including individual county resources to support you when you are raising children of your relatives.)
Toll-free phone number: 866-843-9810
- Wisconsin Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Support Network (link will open a new page)
- Wisconsin DCF Kinship Care Program (link will open a new page)
An overview of the state kinship care program with contact information for each county’s Kinship Care Coordinator(s)
- Kinship Care Coordinators in Wisconsin (link will open a new page)
- Generations United (link will open a new page)
A Facebook group that promotes the rights of grandparent caregivers, as well as inter-generational living and policies
- AARP Grandfacts: A State Fact Sheet for Grandparents and Other Relatives Raising Children (link will open a new page)
A list of county and regional programs and support groups can be found in this comprehensive resource.
County-Specific Resources in Wisconsin
- Grandparenting Today, University of Wisconsin Extension (link will open a new page)
- GRAND Resource Guide for Dane County(link will open a new page)
Wisconsin Benefits & Resources
- Bureau of Aging & Long Term Care Resources (link will open a new page)
Access point to a variety of information on programs and services in Wisconsin for older people and caregivers
- FoodShare Wisconsin (link will open a new page)
Provides extra food dollars to people with limited financial resources
- Home Energy Plus
Provides information about Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance and Wisconsin’s Weatherization Programs available to households with limited income
- Wisconsin BadgerCare+ (link will open a new page)
An insurance program for all children (up to age 19) who do not currently have access to health insurance, pregnant women, parents, caretakers, and foster families with limited financial resources 800-362-3002
- Wisconsin JobNet Job Search (link will open a new page)
Current job opportunities listed with the Wisconsin Job Center System
- Wisconsin Shares (link will open a new page)
Child Care Subsidy Program (W-2 Child Care) that helps eligible parents pay for child care
- Wisconsin WIC Program (link will open a new page)
The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, which provides supplemental nutritious foods, nutrition and breast feeding information, and referral to other health and nutritional services