Adopting Sound Choices, Strong Families
Adopting: Sound Choices, Strong Families is not a “how-to” guide to finding an adoption agency or managing the paper trail.
The author, wife of an adopted person and parent herself to three children who joined the Johnston family through adoption, poses and then helps you address the difficult questions that must be examined before you can make any realistic decisions about adoption, including how to
- Regain a sense of control over your life
- Decide whether you’re genuinely open to the idea of adoption
- Understand the central issues of attachment and adoptive family life
- Feel confident in your decision to pursue–or not–adoption as a viable option
- Make informed decisions about the details of the adoption process
- Embrace your decision to adopt with practical support and information
- Navigate the first months after placement with realistic expectation and information
- Move forward into adoptive family life prepared to address challenges and find resources for yourself and your child.
(543 pages/2008)Author: Patricia Irwin Johnston
Additional Author: Perspectives Press, Inc.